Sunday, January 3, 2010

Samuel Ryan Merrell

The Birth Story!!





Here is the story that I know you have all been waiting for. On Tuesday afternoon Ryan and I went into the midwives office for our weekly checkup. The baby's stress test was great and I had plenty of amniotic fluid, but his growth percentile fell below 10 percent. (For those of you who don't know, we have been monitoring his growth since 36 weeks when they found he was not growing properly and had a small abdomen, for the last few weeks we have been waiting for a bad test or for my cervix to be ripe, either would warrent an induction) Anyway the ultrasonographer told us he was in the 9th percentile so we waited to see what the midwife would say. When she walked into the room she told us that we had won ourselves an induction that night. Sooo Ryan and I went home, called our families, cleaned and did laundry and headed to the hospital around 7:30pm.

They got us all checked in, asked me a million questions and started me on cytotec to "soften" my cervix. I was slightly dilated (2) and effaced (70%) but they wanted me further along before they induced. I was grateful for that because I did not want a c-section! They gave me 4 doses of the drug throughout the night and I started contracting. The night was terrible. I couldn't sleep because the bed was uncomfortable and my back was killing (I had been having really bad back problems all week) but by the morning I was a 3 and 80% effaced so they started the induction.

Although my plan was to go natural, things changed quickly when the pitocin was started. The contractions were not spacing out so I was constantly cramping. The main source of my pain was coming from my back though and I couldn't get up and walk around. I decided not to suffer and asked for an epidural. Getting the epidural was not fun, but my legs went numb and I stopped feeling the contractions. I could still feel my back so after they gave the epidural adequate time to work, they re-dosed me. The anesthesiologist was amazing and finally I was able to get some rest. About that time my family showed up. They took the first flight out in the morning after they found out about the induction. It was so nice to have them there!! Anyway after that we just waited. Finally I started to change every hour. Then I got to a 5.5 and the next hour I was at a 9. It was awesome!! After another hour I was ready to push.

This is when the fun started. I started pushing and everything was great for a little while. Then, surprise, surprise my back started hurting again. At first it was just a little irritating, but soon it was too painful to take. I couldn't push anymore. Another anesthesiologist came in and gave me half a dose of something. It didn't work...so he gave me the other half...it still didn't work. I was writhing in pain and they suggested that I either get a spinal or that we use forceps to yank Sam out. I didn't want either because if forceps don't work, a c-section is the only option and the idea of a spianl scared me. Luckily, the first anesthesiologist came from home and was able to relieve my pain. He really was a life saver. Ryan helped me through it all as well by staying by my side and being prepared with ice! I started pushing again....more pain...again unbearable...had to stop pushing. Another re-dose of the epidural medication. The midwife called the doctor and we had him discuss the risks of forceps. I gave in. Three pushes and a pair of forceps later and SAM WAS HERE!!

He was born at 9:33 pm on December 30th. He weighed 6 lbs and 5 oz and was 19.5 inches. Although everything else looked good, he had a little trouble breathing so they took him to the nursery right away. That was hard for me because I barely got to look at him. They brought him back about an hour later and I finally got to hold my baby!! I had been waiting my whole life for this moment and it was amazing. I am still in shock that he is mine.

We had a lot of minor problems while in the hospital, but the Lord was watching out for us and everything resolved. We are finally home and working on eating. I love my adorable new baby and the wonderful man I married. He could not be more helpful and is the most amazing father. Yay for family.

5 comments:

The Cluffs said...

He is beautiful! Congrats to you guys!!!

Nicole said...

I'm so glad it all turned well, and I bet you're a wonderful new mom. Congratulations again! Thanks for sharing the story!

Harris Family said...

Thanks for the details! Sorry it was harder than expected but I am so happy he's healthy!

Juliana Stak said...

Kim! Little Sam is adorable! Congrats!
I'm so happy for you!

Paula said...

Way to go Kim. He is so cute. That is quite the story, I'm glad it turned out well in the end.