Monday, November 1, 2010

Jobs

So here is the story of my job situation. It has been an interesting road. Here it goes.
A couple of months ago I found myself shadowing a plastic surgeon as part of the interview process. I was told by the nurse that they liked me on the first day. I was excited, but for some reason I never felt super great about the job. The hours were great and it would be good experience, but something didn't feel right. Anyway a week or two later they gave me the job and although I struggled with the decision, I decided to take it. New grad nursing jobs are hard to find these days and there was someone finally willing to take me on. Secretly, though, I hoped that Washington Hospital would hire me and I could leave after only a month or two (that never happened).
I started the job right away and soon figured out why I had that bad feeling. I was the only nurse and basically left alone to figure things out. I was told that the doctor was famous for training, but I didn't receive much training. Mostly, I would try to figure things out on my own and when I did something wrong I was yelled at. I felt very low. I would come home and go over and over my mistakes in my mind. I'm not going to lie, I was depressed. I hated my job. The doctor and his OR tech didn't do much talking so I basically sat in silence all day trying not to kill the patient. I did not think it was very fair that I was learning by trial and error at the patient's expense. I felt uncomfortable with the whole situation, but I wanted experience. Also, I was told that I would be working Mon-Wed and I was getting one day a week if I was lucky. We needed more money. More depression.
They were giving me a 90 day trial. At the end of 90 days they could walk away from me or I from them with no problems. After that they wanted a 2 year commitment...a commitment I prayed I would not have to make. I kept looking for jobs on craigslist and on hospital websites. I sent my resume to a lot of random places and never really expected to hear back from anyone.
Luckily, about 2 weeks before my 90 days was up, I received a phone call from a plastic surgery center in Pleasanton. They wanted to interview me the next day. I didn't expect much and I didn't really want to go. I didn't know much about it, but it's not like my nursing goals have focused on plastic surgery. I went. I met with the office administrator (who was really nice) and one of the doctors. I was offered a job on the spot. They had some nurses leaving and they were excited for "new blood." After the interview, I still didn't know much about the job but I talked with Ryan and we decided that I would like ANYTHING more than the job I already had.
I gave my 2 weeks notice the next Monday for my job in Fremont. The doctor said he understood that I needed more hours (that's pretty much all I told him), but his wife (who hired me) was not so happy. She tried to guilt trip me into staying because Nov-Dec are their busiest months. I held strong and decided not to work even on an as needed basis. There is something about them that I just don't feel comfortable being around.
I started my new job the next day and worked both jobs for the next two weeks. After the first day at the new job I knew I would like it A LOT more. There are other nurses to teach me. People socialize. The doctors are doctors but they are nice. I get paid slightly better. I get a few more hours. But most importantly, I am much happier. I don't spend my days off depressed. I can get more done (although I still take two naps with Sam-mmm naps are nice). I have finally started exercising again. I am my old self.
I still want to progress in my nursing career. I want to work at a hospital. I want to be in labor and delivery. But this job will get me in without making me miserable. I am grateful for the experience at the first job. It taught me some very important life lessons, gave me some nursing skills, and without the experience there, they would not have hired me at the new place. There is some good in everything. I am just glad that experience has passed! And if you need plastic surgery, I know some good surgeons!!

5 comments:

Holly said...

I'm so glad you have a job you like now! It's the worst when you hate your job. And hopefully this job leads you to where you want to be. :)

Paula said...

I'm so glad that you have a job you like. Isn't it so nice to get to leave the one you hate. I think we've all been there at one time or another.

Harris Family said...

I am so glad you are happy again! Good for you for seeing the good in your trial, that's a hard thing to do!

Laura said...

I'm HAPPY everything is going better for you! I doubt you would be interested, but I know that VA in SF is having a new-grad program in January...it would be fun to work together!! It's not L&D...

DOYINGS said...

You are an amazing young woman. I am honored to be your mom!